(Food is Love. Food is Culture. Food is Connection. Food is Adventure.)


Friday, October 14, 2011

It's "bread day" here at the Foodventures lab!

Today, I am going to post our two favorite (so far) GF bread recipes.  The first is for a standard white sandwich bread, and the second is for a standard multigrain loaf.

As you read below, you will notice that the white bread ended up being taller (bigger slices), while the multigrain loaf ended up being more on the Udi's size scale (i.e. short/small).  While I didn't mind the petite slices myself (it shows me just how little we truly need to be completely satisfied), I am currently working to fine a happy balance combination of these two recipes so that we can have multigrain bread that is similar in size to the white bread.  I made a loaf this week that was a good size, but I either forgot to add the salt, or didn't choose the right combination of flours (it tasted funny to me, but not to Hubby).  Also, as you might imagine, the white bread isn't the best in the vitamins and minerals department, and that's why I am experimenting with multigrains at this time.  In any case, when I am satisfied with a recipe, I will of course post it.

Finally (and I will mention this again below), I want to note that I recently bought a series of eBook cookbooks called "Gluten Free Lifestyle" by Katie Ross.  (There's also a link to her website in the Real-Life Friends of The Robinator, Handy Health-Related Websites, and Other Recommended Reading section on the right side of this page.)  She’s in Australia, and I find that her eBooks offer loads of great information specifically about GF flours and baking gluten-free.  One of her eBooks in particular even goes so far as to list out all of the various GF flours that are available, their properties, what they are best used for/in, how they taste, substitutions, etc.  She also goes through the "formula" for baking GF bread, what ingredients you need, what function each ingredient serves (i.e. why you need it), etc.  I would love to give out that information and all of Katie's tips here on my blog, but I am not interested in violating any copyright laws.  :)  What I will say is that if you don't already have them, or have never heard of her, I highly suggest you check it out and/or buy these eBooks, at least the "Baking" and "Flours" volumes.  They're not very expensive at all.

Okay, on to the current recipes....

No comments:

Post a Comment