(Food is Love. Food is Culture. Food is Connection. Food is Adventure.)


Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Gluten-Free Pasta (Corn Based)

On nights when Hubby and I have Muay Thai and Small Circle JuJitsu class, fast dinner is imperative.  So, one night back in September, we decided to try out one of the gluten-free pastas we had bought: DeBoles brand "Gluten Free Corn Spaghetti Style Pasta."



Many people told me that gluten-free pastas were nasty, but I have to totally disagree.  If you didn't know ahead of time that this wasn't regular pasta, well....then you'd just think it was regular pasta.  The only distinction that I could perceive was that it seemed a little ever-so-teeny-bit slightly "fluffier" than traditional wheat pasta....maybe as if it was homemade rather than store-bought; kind of similar to a good gnocchi.  Hubby totally agreed.  We give this pasta two thumbs up for sure.

I don't know if the fluffier texture would make other shapes of pasta (like penne or shells) seem weird, but I guess we will find out when we get to trying them.  :)

Nutrition-wise, there are only 10 more calories per 2 oz. serving than traditional pasta, a bit more carbs, and a bit less protein.  In my opinion, negligible differences.

The most significant divergence is price point.  A regular 16 oz. box of pasta costs about $1.19 where we live.  This was an 8 oz. box, and it cost $2.99.  A little bit of yowza there.  But for folks like us who rarely eat pasta anyways, I guess this isn't that big a deal....and can also be considered a deterrent against refined grains or an incentive to eat more whole foods as opposed to processed boxed ones.

One more picture, just for fun (and because I ♥ cheese)....

No comments:

Post a Comment