(Food is Love. Food is Culture. Food is Connection. Food is Adventure.)


Saturday, October 15, 2011

Gluten-Free Brownies! OMG Yum!

Who needs wheat flour to make the most awesomest brownies ever?  Not me!  :)
I made these today to take to a friend's house tomorrow (she's gluten-free and also lactose intolerant, and Hubby and I wanted to make a dessert that we can all enjoy).  I don't think any of us will have any problem enjoying the holy hell out of these....


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup of light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup of almond meal/flour (I made my own in the food processor, from sliced almonds)
  • 1/4 cup of white rice flour
  • Kosher Salt (1/2 teaspoon if Morton, 1 teaspoon if Diamond Crystal)
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 5 ounces of chocolate (I used Baker's Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate Squares)
  • 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions:
  1. Pre-heat your oven to 350-degrees.
  2. Combine all the dry ingredients (if you have a stand mixer, use its bowl) and mix well using the whisk attachment.  If you don't have a stand mixer, an electric hand mixer is just fine, or even a regular whisk plus some elbow grease.
  3. Melt the chocolate and the butter together (I did this in the microwave) and stir together well.
  4. Break the eggs into the bowl of dry ingredients, add the vanilla, and mix well (still using the whisk attachment if you are using a stand mixer).
  5. Add the butter/chocolate mixture, and mix on medium-high speed until well combined.
  6. Pour it all into the greased brownie pan of your choice (I topped mine with a few bits of sliced almonds on top), and bake for 35-40 minutes.
  7. Let them cool outside of the oven (if you can resist digging right in immediately), and then cut into squares.

These brownies are amazing!  They are SO good that every time I walk anywhere near the kitchen, Hubby says "you should bring me another brownie."  ;)

Nutrition Facts (for each of 15 brownies):
  • 198 calories
  • 3 grams protein
  • 23 grams carbs
  • 12 grams fat
  • 1 gram fiber
  • 88 mg sodium
Look how they compare to store bought full-wheat brownies (I am using my standby favorite Duncan Hines Chewy Fudge Brownies as the example) baked as directed on the package and cut into 15 servings:
  • 227 calories
  • 3 grams protein
  • 32 grams carbs
  • 11 grams fat
  • 1 gram fiber
  • 140 mg sodium
Not bad at all, especially considering the nutritional value that the almond flour brings to the party.  I am 100% pleased with these brownies.  Wow and Yum!

PS: Hubby had the idea of, next time, using hazelnut flour instead of almond flour.  And I don't see why that wouldn't work....or any nut flour from any kind of nut you would normally put into brownies (walnuts, pecans, etc).  Go for it, experiment!  That's why cooking and baking is fun, after all, right?  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment