(Food is Love. Food is Culture. Food is Connection. Food is Adventure.)


Sunday, February 26, 2012

Brown Bread in a Can

What the eff am I talking about, you say?  If you're from New England, brown bread in a can is apparently some kind of old tradition.  I grew up in New England and still live here now, yet I had never had it until this weekend.  And I thought it was high time that I finally partook of this foodstuff.  So, what is it?  Just what it sounds like....a loaf of brown bread that comes, well, in a can.


It sounds disturbing, I agree, but truthfully, I was pleasantly surprised.  First off, there weren't nearly as many ingredients as I would have expected from something coming out of a can, and to boot, they were all completely identifiable:


Preparation, of course, is incredibly straighforward-- simply open the can on both ends, push the bread out, slice and eat.  You can also heat it up or slice and toast it (easy multi-method directions are all on the back of the can).  I opted for the heat it up in the oven technique, which I will illustrate here with a series of photos....






See that trash can in the background?  For a while, I was worried that that's
exactly where this loaf of bread truly belonged.  Lol.  But I was wrong.  :)


What did I end up with?  A nice little loaf of moist, strongly molasses flavored (albeit can shaped) bread.  It was tasty and perfectly edible all on it's own, but I also opted to try it with strawberry jam....yum.



Believe it or not, I consider this experiment a success, and I would actually recommend that people try this product....if for no other reason than the fun factor and/or pure nostalgic value.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment