(Food is Love. Food is Culture. Food is Connection. Food is Adventure.)


Thursday, December 15, 2011

Bacon Palooza!

Last night, Hubby and I went to Bacon Palooza at Olde Magoun’s Saloon.  It’s a local bar in the town where we grew up.  They do rotating specials menus, always based on some theme.  This month, it’s bacon!  Mmmmmm, bacon.

They are doing their bacon thing in the style of tapas (small plates), so of course, we ordered a bunch of things.  Here’s what we got (I apologize that these aren’t great pictures; I only had my cell phone in restaurant-bar lighting)....


Fig-alicious
(figs stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped in smoked applewood bacon)

(a close-up of the cut open fig dish)

Hog Wild Rangoon
(black pepper bacon, scallions and cream cheese stuffed in a wonton,
deep fried and served with a plum sauce)

Bacon Poutine
(waffle fries topped with crumbled bacon, cheese curds and
bacon onion gravy, topped with a soft egg)

Beef Bacon Blue
(mini beef filets stuffed with blue cheese and wrapped in bacon,
with caramelized onions and a pepper port reduction)

Chicken Fried Bacon
(battered and deep fried [Canadian] bacon, served with a bacon onion gravy, grits and two mini southern biscuits)

And finally, for dessert.... 


Praline Bacon Brownie
(it was chocolate cake on top of a chocolate chip cookie, sprinkled with what I think was walnuts and topped with a strip of candied bacon.  Served with homemade whipped cream)

Overall, I have to say that I was not too impressed with most of this.  Fig-alicious I really liked, and the Beef Bacon Blue was terrific.  But the rest, I give only a solid “meh.”  It could have been a lot better.  That’s okay, though, it won’t sway me from visiting this awesome local hangout in the future and tasting everything else they have to offer.  Their food is generally very good, and the other themed menus that they have done in the past were very nicely done indeed.  I still give the restaurant/bar two thumbs up.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say the Poutine looks pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had real poutine. This was not even close.

    ReplyDelete