(Food is Love. Food is Culture. Food is Connection. Food is Adventure.)


Sunday, January 5, 2020

Around the World in Foodventures (Republic of the Union of Myanmar f/k/a Burma: MOHINGA)

Back from the holidays and a new year break, I'm hitting up Myanmar (formerly known as Burma), where I find myself making what is essentially a chunky fish broth served over noodles. Frankly, I don't have much to say by way of introductory remarks on this one, so I'll just insert the photo straight away:


As I was cooking it, I didn't think I'd like the final product.  After all, it's fish + fish sauce + dashi (fish) powder, so I thought it'd be overly pungent.  Now don't get me wrong -- I don't mind fish; but "fishy" is another story.  In the end, it's still true that I'm not a huge fan of this soup, but it isn't actually bad.  It's just a matter of my personal taste.  Squeezing that lime slice on top really helped, and the little fritters that go along with it were pretty tasty on their own.

Here are the recipes I used:
https://www.196flavors.com/burma-mohinga/
and
https://www.daringgourmet.com/burmese-yellow-split-pea-fritters-baya-kyaw/

I'll be back soon with the next location....

This post is part of my project: "Around the World in Foodventures" (I decided I want to expand my culinary horizons even further by making the national dish or a popular recipe, or some signature food or traditional meal from every country in the world. Maybe it'll happen alphabetically, or by region, in random order, or something else. I figure if we can't (yet?) travel everywhere, we at least have the luxury of being able to taste it. It’ll be fun and interesting, but obviously, will take a long time to get through -- as I'll only be doing it once a week or so at most. I am chronicling the journey here.)

“If I’m an advocate of anything, it’s to move…Walk in someone else’s shoes or at least eat their food.” --Tony Bourdain

No comments:

Post a Comment