(Food is Love. Food is Culture. Food is Connection. Food is Adventure.)


Thursday, October 29, 2020

Spaghetti in Hummus Sauce

What? . . . Hummus sauce?  Yes.  I was pondering what to make for lunch today, knowing that I want to keep Vegan for the time being, and started thinking about how I could use up some of the hummus we have without simply dipping fresh vegetables (which we don't have a lot of right now anyways) into it.  After some quick Google research, I threw this meal together -- and both Hubby and I are very happy with it.  I will definitely make this (or some variation thereof, because the herbs and veggies could definitely be swapped for other thins) again.


INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/2 pound dry spaghetti
  • A few florets of broccoli -- stems sliced, and the tops broken into small pieces
  • 1/4 of a medium onion, chopped
  • 1 to 2 Tablespoons of minced garlic
  • 1 to 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • Salt
  • Black pepper
  • Red pepper flake
  • 2 to 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 pinches of lemon zest
  • 1/2 to 2/3 cup store-bought hummus
  • Fresh parsley, chopped
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Boil some water and start he spaghetti cooking.
  2. At the same time -- but in a different pan -- saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil, along with salt, pepper, and red pepper flake to taste.  Stir in the lemon juice and lemon zest.  Turn off the heat if things are cooked down before the pasta is done.
  3. When the pasta is 2-3 minutes from being done, drop the broccoli into that same pot so it, too, can cook. Then plop the hummus into the sauce pan, add a ladle-full of the pasta water, and whisk it all together to form a creamy sauce.
  4. When the pasta and broccoli are done, drain them (or just use tongs to grab them out of the pot) and put them into the sauce pan, along with the parsley.
  5. Toss everything to combine, re-check for any seasoning adjustments you may want to make, and enjoy!

This post is an original recipe that I created from scratch.

My goal is to share my love of food simply -- without all the fluff (unless it's Marshmallow Fluff!), long winded stories, excessive and repetitive photos, or incessant rambling that I see on other blogs.  I personally tend to skip over all that, just scrolling straight to the bottom in hopes of finding the recipe right away.  Therefore, I hope you appreciate the brevity above.

** You'll also never find ads here. **

If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below or
contact me directly using the form near the top of the right-hand column.

No comments:

Post a Comment