(Food is Love. Food is Culture. Food is Connection. Food is Adventure.)


Monday, October 26, 2020

Around the World in Foodventures (Algeria: LHAM LAHLOU)

Another country, another ingredient I've never used before. 🙂

Lham Lahlou (which can be alternatively spelled "El Ham Lahlou" or "Lahm Lahlou" or "L'ham Lahlou") is a sweet, braised combination of meat and dried fruits most often reserved for breaking the fast during Ramadan.  It's high sugar content provides boosted energy levels, helping people power through their evening prayers; and because it's so sweet, it is usually eaten more like a dessert at the end of a meal in small, snack-size portions, rather than as a larger dish or main entrée.


It's pretty easy to make, and doesn't require too many ingredients (some of which you can be flexible on the selection of depending on what you have around or available -- in other words, there are lots of variations of different dried fruits and warm spices used).  I followed this particular recipe:


The final product wasn't cloying, which was nice -- and I was surprised (not in a bad way) at how much the relatively small amount of Orange Blossom Water (the new ingredient this round) came through both in flavor and aroma, compared to the rest of the components which were much more plentiful.

That's about all I have to say on this one.  Short read today.  👍

This post is part of my project: "Around the World in Foodventures" (I decided I want to expand my culinary horizons even further by making the national dish or a popular recipe, or some signature food or traditional meal from every country in the world. Maybe it'll happen alphabetically, or by region, in random order, or something else. I figure if we can't (yet?) travel everywhere, we at least have the luxury of being able to taste it. It’ll be fun and interesting, but obviously, will take a long time to get through -- as I'll only be doing it once a week or so at most. I am chronicling the journey here.)

“If I’m an advocate of anything, it’s to move…Walk in someone else’s shoes or at least eat their food.” --Tony Bourdain

No comments:

Post a Comment