(Food is Love. Food is Culture. Food is Connection. Food is Adventure.)


Saturday, October 3, 2020

Around the World in Foodventures (Jamaica: ACKEE AND SALTFISH with JAMAICAN FESTIVALS A/K/A CARIBBEAN FRIED DUMPLINGS)

Ackee is on Time Magazine's (albeit generally alarmist) list of Top 10 Most Dangerous Foods, yet it's the national fruit of Jamaica.  Apparently illegal to import to or sell as fresh produce in the United States, it's also easy to find in its processed canned form at my local Walmart or Target.  

After doing a bunch of research, I learned that Ackee seeds are always poisonous, and can actually kill you by causing hypoglycemia and its resulting problems; as can the rest of the fruit if eaten too soon.  The flesh of the fruit, however -- once completely ripe and properly handled -- is said to be safe.  I was still a little nervous about using it, but the whole point here is to try new ingredients and experience different flavors, right?   I reasoned that if Ackee is such a risk, it wouldn't be consumed both raw and cooked by people all over the world every day . . . so I pressed on.

Here is my Ackee and Saltfish, which is Jamaica's national dish and most often eaten as a hearty breakfast.  It's served with a side of fried dumplings:


The recipes I used a my guide are:

The Ackee itself, which I of course tasted before putting it into the pan, had a flavor similar to something familiar -- except I just couldn't put my finger on what it was.  It is also, as my research warned, very delicate and crumbles into tiny bits quite easily.  The completed dish (while I'm not the hugest fan of it) is pretty good, with a nice heat from the pepper, and I can totally see why people eat it as breakfast -- it can really fill you up and fuel you for the day.  Though the star for me personally is the Jamaican Festivals (a/k/a Caribbean Fried Dumplings) -- the addition of nutmeg to the mix really gives it a wonderful background quality that had me going back for more.

So I ate the scary thing, and I am fine.  But I can't say I won't be eating a little extra sugar today just to be safe.  😜

This post is part of my project: "Around the World in Foodventures" (I decided I want to expand my culinary horizons even further by making the national dish or a popular recipe, or some signature food or traditional meal from every country in the world. Maybe it'll happen alphabetically, or by region, in random order, or something else. I figure if we can't (yet?) travel everywhere, we at least have the luxury of being able to taste it. It’ll be fun and interesting, but obviously, will take a long time to get through -- as I'll only be doing it once a week or so at most. I am chronicling the journey here.)

“If I’m an advocate of anything, it’s to move…Walk in someone else’s shoes or at least eat their food.” --Tony Bourdain

No comments:

Post a Comment