It has once again been a loooong time since I've updated this blog.
The original thrust of my "Around the World in Foodventures" project was that I wanted to expand my culinary horizons by making the national dish (or a popular recipe, or some other signature food or traditional meal) from every country in the world.
I don't know if chasing those parameters was maybe putting too much pressure on me to choose something that I thought was appropriately representative for each location, but I can say that I started to feel a bit of analysis paralysis.... and before I knew it, life got away from us and over three years had passed.
Well, I'm back -- still wanting to cook something from everywhere -- but now I'm loosening the "rules" that I operate within. I'll still eventually make something, anything, from each country; but it isn't going to matter if it's an official national dish or true signature food or considered traditional or popular by whomever.
- Will I be methodical about it, proceeding in some particular order?
Nope. - Am I going to cook or post on any specific regular basis?
Unlikely! - Do the recipes need to be chosen purposefully and actually specifically researched; or can they be things I just happen to come across or see YouTube videos about?
Not necessarily and any way will do 😁
But eventually -- one at a time, on whatever timeframe organically happens, and however the foods come to me -- I will hit all the places.
So far, as of this writing, I have culinarily visited and blogged about the following countries:
Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, The Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Croatia, Eritrea, Ethiopia, France, Greece, Guyana, Honduras, India, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, South Korea, Mexico, Myanmar (f/k/a Burma), North Macedonia, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Seychelles, Spain, Sudan, South Sudan, Tanzania, Thailand, Uzbekistan, and Venezuela.
That's 48 out of the 197 I have on my list. I did not realize I was just about 25% through already!
So now, after all the fluff I just wrote and without further ado, I will return to my normal brevity -- simply presenting a photo of the food along with the recipe I wrote or followed:
NASU DENGAKU a/k/a Miso-Glazed Eggplant
INGREDIENTS
Items that are grouped by color in my ingredient lists can be measured out into bowls together while getting your Mise en Place, to streamline your cooking process as well as minimize the number of things you'll have to clean later. Any ingredients left white should be kept separate by itself.
Cut the Eggplants in half lengthwise, then use a knife to score them in a crosshatch pattern.
Season the Eggplants with Salt & MSG. Set them aside for about 40 minutes to let some moisture get pull liquid out.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Meanwhile, mix all the sauce ingredients together. Set aside.
Use paper towels to blot the Eggplants dry. Coat them on all sides with Oil, then bake until softened (about an hour).
Remove the Eggplants from the oven, brush the sauce onto their cut sides, and bake or broil again -- sauce side up -- until the sauce is bubbling and slightly caramelized. (The timing here will depend on whether you bake or broil; and whether you do this Step 6 immediately after the first Step 5 bake, or -- like I did -- do the Step 5 bake one night ahead and then finish with this second bake/broil the next day. Just keep an eye on them, and pull them out when the sauce is browned and bubbling 👍).
Garnish with Sesame Seeds and Scallions for serving.
I originally wanted to expand my culinary horizons by making the national dish, or a popular recipe, or some signature food or traditional meal, from every country in the world.
I figure if we can't (yet?) travel everywhere, we at least have the luxury of being able to taste it.
else’s shoes or at least eat their food.” --Tony Bourdain
If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below or
contact me directly using the form near the top of the right-hand column.
