(Food is Love. Food is Culture. Food is Connection. Food is Adventure.)


Thursday, May 2, 2019

Around the World in Foodventures (Argentina: LOCRO)

Locro is a very meaty (because Argentina) stew with corn and lima beans....no kidding, it contains 6 different cuts or preparations of two land mammalian creatures! One of which had to be pre-boiled for 4 hours before starting the stew itself (that takes another 2-3 hours). In addition to all of this, the corn and beans also had to soak for a minimum of 8 hours. So it was a time consuming cook, and I'm glad I had Patriots Day off work yesterday to make it. In the spoon here is an accompanying spicy oil that gets stirred in as you eat.


I used pretty much this exact recipe (https://www.cocinerosargentinos.com/recetas/Guisos/1970-Locro-del-25.html), along with a little guidance from here (https://therealargentina.com/en/recipe-for-argentine-locro/), combined with this video to round out the hot oil (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z_0bz_B10M).

 
This post is part of my project: "Around the World in Foodventures" (I decided I want to expand my culinary horizons even further by making the national dish or a popular recipe, or some signature food or traditional meal from every country in the world. Maybe it'll happen alphabetically, or by region, in random order, or something else. I figure if we can't (yet?) travel everywhere, we at least have the luxury of being able to taste it. It’ll be fun and interesting, but obviously, will take a long time to get through -- as we'll only be doing it once a week or so at most. I am chronicling the journey here.)

3 comments:

  1. Dang! That's some preparation, have to think ahead on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Hi!! <3 =D
      ( And yeah, I split the prep and cooking over two days, because I took this dish to a potluck on a Tuesday night after work. :O )

      Delete