(Food is Love. Food is Culture. Food is Connection. Food is Adventure.)


Friday, October 9, 2026

Salsa Verde Yellow Vatana Split Peas (Lentils)

Still (and always) trying to curb waste and use up all the things, I threw together this fusion-y pulse dish that I think came out quite delicious.  It's Vegan and Gluten-Free.


INGREDIENTS
Using my handy-dandy rainbow chart, items that are grouped by color in my ingredient lists can be measured out into bowls together while getting your Mise en Place, to streamline your cooking process as well as minimize the number of things you'll have to clean later. Any ingredient in the white section should be kept separate by itself.

   * 4 cloves of Garlic, minced * 1/2 an Onion, chopped

* Oil

   * 1 cup of Yellow Vatana Split Peas, picked for stones

   * one 7-ounce can of Salsa Verde (I believe I used Goya brand because I noted that its ingredients were: tomatillos, jalapeno, coriander, salt,

onion, garlic, and corn oil)

   * one 4-cup box of Vegetable Broth (I usually use Kitchen Basics unsalted)

   * Cumin - to taste

   * Salt - to taste

   * Pepper - to taste

   * Oregano - to taste





   * the juice of 1/2 a Lime                                                                            

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. In a medium pot, saute the Garlic and Onions in a bit of Oil.
  2. Add the Yellow Vatana Split Peas, Salsa Verde, Vegetable Broth, Cumin, Salt, Pepper, and Oregano -- then bring it all to a boil.
  3. Cover it most of the way (meaning leave the cover just slightly askew), reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer (stirring and checking occasionally) until the split peas are completely cooked.  (Mine took about an hour, as I didn't soak them first.)
  4. Taste and adjust the spices to your liking, then squeeze in the Lime Juice at the very end.

**********************************************************
If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below or
contact me directly using the form near the top of the right-hand column.