(Food is Love. Food is Culture. Food is Connection. Food is Adventure.)


Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Around the World in Foodventures (Andorra: ESCUDELLA I CARN D'OLLA)

"Escudella i Carn D'olla" translates to "Soup and stewed meat" -- and that's exactly what this bowl deliciously contains. It also all comes together quickly enough that you can make it on a weeknight. I started after 5:00 PM and we were eating by 7:15.


Because this is clearly one of those dishes that every household has their own version of, and/or uses varying ingredients depending on what they have available that day, I followed the general gist of this recipe: https://www.notesfromamessykitchen.com/recipe/andorra-escudella/ -- but changed the timing of some parts because I didn't want my beans or potatoes to get too mushy; and because I read in some other posts that thick-cut ham is sometimes included, I added that to my pot as well.

I suspected that the homemade broth specifically would remind me of holiday family soups from my childhood.  And I was happily correct.  On top of that -- this meal is hearty, rich and fatty but not too much so, just salty enough, and the pork meatballs offer a little pop of surprising flavor due to their inclusion of nutmeg and cumin.  So good and delightfully balanced, all around.

This post is part of my project: "Around the World in Foodventures" (I decided I want to expand my culinary horizons even further by making the national dish or a popular recipe, or some signature food or traditional meal from every country in the world. Maybe it'll happen alphabetically, or by region, in random order, or something else. I figure if we can't (yet?) travel everywhere, we at least have the luxury of being able to taste it. It’ll be fun and interesting, but obviously, will take a long time to get through -- as I'll only be doing it once a week or so at most. I am chronicling the journey here.)

“If I’m an advocate of anything, it’s to move…Walk in someone else’s shoes or at least eat their food.” --Tony Bourdain

No comments:

Post a Comment