(Food is Love. Food is Culture. Food is Connection. Food is Adventure.)


Saturday, February 8, 2020

Around the World in Foodventures (Sudan: MOUKHBAZA and KUINDIONG)

Sudanese sweets!  That's what I'm up to today.  Specifically, from the Eastern part of the country I made Moukhbaza (spicy mashed banana), and from the South came Kuindiong (a pudding of sorts).

They are both really easy, requiring simple ingredients and just a little bit of time.  And while neither is very exciting to look at, they're pretty unique and darn delicious.


If I had to pick one over the other, the Moukhbaza (shown here on the red plate) would be my 2nd place finisher today, because my oh my is that green bowl of Kuindiong good.  It's basically a cream of wheat -- but the topping (brought to life by literally frying plain, unsweetened yogurt in butter) somehow comes out tasting like caramel and puts it in the absolute win column.


This post is part of my project: "Around the World in Foodventures" (I decided I want to expand my culinary horizons even further by making the national dish or a popular recipe, or some signature food or traditional meal from every country in the world. Maybe it'll happen alphabetically, or by region, in random order, or something else. I figure if we can't (yet?) travel everywhere, we at least have the luxury of being able to taste it. It’ll be fun and interesting, but obviously, will take a long time to get through -- as I'll only be doing it once a week or so at most. I am chronicling the journey here.)

“If I’m an advocate of anything, it’s to move…Walk in someone else’s shoes or at least eat their food.” --Tony Bourdain

No comments:

Post a Comment