(Food is Love. Food is Culture. Food is Connection. Food is Adventure.)


Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Around the World in Foodventures (Venezuela: PABELLÓN CRIOLLO)

Hubby was getting a little worn out on the lamb dishes, so I told him to be the picker of the next country....and here we are in Venezuela.  When I first tasted this beef dish (while shredding it and before putting it back into the broth to cook a little more) it reminded me of corned beef despite there not being much salt in the recipe.  But after it simmered in the broth with the onion, pepper, garlic, and tomatoes -- it changed into something definitely not corned-beefy.  It has a lot of flavor for containing minimal ingredients and spices, and frankly, is just yummy.

I used this recipe: https://www.whats4eats.com/meats/pabellon-criollo-recipe, and as suggested served the meat with plain white rice, black beans flavored with a bit of cumin, and fried plantains that I admittedly forgot to put salt on. 😉

This post is part of my project: "Around the World in Foodventures" (I decided I want to expand my culinary horizons even further by making the national dish or a popular recipe, or some signature food or traditional meal from every country in the world. Maybe it'll happen alphabetically, or by region, in random order, or something else. I figure if we can't (yet?) travel everywhere, we at least have the luxury of being able to taste it. It’ll be fun and interesting, but obviously, will take a long time to get through -- as we'll only be doing it once a week or so at most. I am chronicling the journey here.)


“If I’m an advocate of anything, it’s to move…Walk in someone else’s shoes or at least eat their food.” --Tony Bourdain

No comments:

Post a Comment